Guest Book

Site map

 "From now until the end of the world,  we and it shall be remembered. We few, we Band of Brothers. For he who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother."

Northern France    Rhineland    Ardennes-Alsace    Central Europe










  The Veterans

  Fletcher B. Cox

  Donald A. Fuesler

  Francis X. Hoelscher

  Charles R. Hughes

  Richard E. Hunton

  Hugh F. Ingalls

  Andrew Miller

  Seymour L. Schnuer

  Edward D. Snell

    Donald A. Fuesler
Company "Anti-Tank", 378th Infantry Regiment

  I was a cannoneer on a 57mm anti-tank gun in the 3rd batallion of the 378th regiment of the 95th Division.  We were in a defensive position in Verneville, France.  We were in the schoolhouse and city hall at the edge of the town.  We were defending the crossroad there against armored attack by the 17th Panzer Grenedier Division.  The repaired hole  from a German 88mm in the stone barn at the crossroads can still be seen today.  

  We had an observation post in the barn and observed the German soldiers on the edge of the woods in the distance.  We lived in the back corner room facing the farm and crawled in and out of the window.  An old couple, husband and wife, stayed and lived at the farm.  I later found out that they lived through the war.

  Our gun was in an old shed next to the schoolhouse aimed at the crossroads just below the barn.One night a German patrol came into the farm area.  Frederick Krebs and I were on guard behind the wall near the corner of the schoolhouse.  We frightened away the patrol and the next morning when I went up in the hayloft to man the observation post, I noticed some movement under the hay.  I challenged the German under the hay.  He did not come out, and not wanting to give away our position in the barn by shooting him, I took a pitchfork and rammed it into the moving hay.  A terrible scream ensued, and a pig came out with a pitchfork stuck in his back.  The old farmer came out and rescued his pig.

On the left : Picture of the actual cross road. We can see the stone barn on the left and the school on the right.

On the right : Picture of the school renovated.

  In mid November we moved to a forward assembly area above Woippy.  From there we moved past the big fort near Le Ban San Martin down to the Moselle to cover the attack on the Pont du Sauvage.

  Later that day we attempted to cross the Moselle and get to the island, but the current was too swift and swept us down river.  Fortunately we were able to get back onshore.  We went back through Le Ban St Martin past all the wounded and dead horses and dead Germans to a foot bridge that the engineers had built.  We went to the island and participated in the battle there.  That night I was sent back to get rations and ammunition, but on the way back was knocked into the river by enemy shellfire aimed at trying to knock out the pontoon bridge.  Soaking wet and freezing to death, I went back to Le Ban where I found the engineers in an old German barracks.  A major there gave me some brandy, too much, and I awoke the next morning in a warehouse filled with canned condiments and wearing a dry German uniform.  MERDE!!!  My old buddy Don Wentz came to my rescue and brought me a clean dry uniform from the batallion aid station.  We then went back to the island and then on into Metz where I shot a German sniper out of the top of the railroad station.  We ended up at the Hotel Royal, which became our batallion headquarters.  Whenever we would hear small arms fire we would head in that direction to find the FFI in a fire fight with holed up Germans.  We would pull the FFI back and the Germans would surrender to us.  They knew better that to surrender to the FFI.

  At four o'clock in the afternoon the great bell of the cathederal began ringing and people streamed out into the streets celebrating their liberation.  It was one of the most moving sights of my life.  Wentz and I were exhausted so we found a bed in the old Hotel National, now the Ibis, and went to bed in room #27.

  Early the next morning we awoke to sounds of gunfire, and looking out the window saw we were under attack by troops from the 5th Division which was on our right flank.  They had not received the message that we had liberated the city a day earlier.  We tore the sheets off the bed and began waving them out of the window of the hotel.  After a short time the attack stopped and we went back to the Hotel Royal.  Metz was now calm. and we spent a little time exploring the city.  A large church not far from the now Hotel Mercure was filled with confisicated arms which the Nazis had taken from the French.  It was a huge arsenal.

  After less than a day in Metz we were told to leave and went to Boulay where we got ready for an assualt on the Siegfried Line.

I want to thank Donald A. Fuesler for his testimony and the use of his photographs.